Delicious CBD treats for dogs that you can make yourself.
Now that CBD has been legalized by the United States 2018 Farm Bill, you can find CBD oil and CBD pet treats for dogs online and through pet stores everywhere. But what about making your own? You can actually whip up special CBD treats for your dog with just a little bit of CBD oil.
CBD to Ease Joint Pain and Seizures
Just like with humans, pet owners are discovering that CBD has the capacity to ease joint pain and help with anxiety in dogs. Though reports are mostly anecdotal, pet owners and veterinarians are seeing a reduction in anxiety, nausea, inflammation and seizures from using CBD. But, the science has yet to catch up with what pet owners are observing at home.
A study in Frontiers in Veterinary Science (2018)Boesch, et al. “Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Clinical Efficacy of Cannabidiol Treatment in Osteoarthritic Dogs.” Frontiers, Frontiers, 2 July 2018, … Continue readingfound that CBD oil could help dogs with osteoarthritis. This placebo-controlled, cross-over study discovered that two, small pet-friendly doses per day significantly increased the comfort and activity levels of dogs with osteoarthritis.
Another study, published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (2019), concluded that CBD could potentially help dogs with epilepsy, just like it can with humans. They found that a dose of CBD oil could help reduce the number of seizures in their control group, and that it didn’t cause any adverse effects.
Now, the research has yet to state definitively whether or not CBD is safe for dogs. That’s why it’s important to consult your veterinarian about treating your pup with CBD — especially if your dog is already taking other medications. Your veterinarian can help you ascertain the correct dose for your dog, and let you know what to watch out for regarding adverse effects.
Making CBD Treats for Dogs
If you and your veterinarian feel that CBD is the right treatment for your dog, you have the option of purchasing store-bought CBD treats or making your own.
However, unless you have access to a whole hemp plant, you will want to purchase CBD oil from a trusted company. It is not a good idea to use CBD oil made for humans, as it can contain ingredients that are toxic to dogs, like grapeseed oil and xylitol. Look for labels that are veterinary specific, produced by companies that allow third-party testing. Check to see if there is a seal from the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC). Also, be sure to read the label for other ingredients.
Once you have a dog-specific CBD oil in hand, you’re ready to make some homemade CBD treats for your dog. If you’re just starting out with a CBD treatment, you’ll want to start with a small amount and build from there. Watch your dog for any digestive issues. And if your dog suffers from arthritis or epilepsy, it’s a good idea to keep notes on how their condition is improving (or not) with administration of CBD.
Brothers Peanut Butter and CBD Honey Dog Treats
- 2/3 tbsp Brothers CBD Coconut Oil (Estimated 10-13 mg of CBD per tbsp. Estimated 1 tbsp per stick.)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup Brothers Wild Rosin CBD Honey (Estimated 20 mg CBD per teaspoon)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the Brothers CBD Coconut Oil, peanut butter, Brothers Wild Rosin CBD
- Honey and chicken broth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the whole wheat and all-purpose flours. Mix in the rolled oats.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until fully combined.
- Dust your counter or work area with flour. Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out treats using a cookie cutter. (If you don’t own a cookie cutter, use a juice glass or jar to make circular biscuits!)
- Place cut-out treats onto a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 14 – 16 minutes.
Frozen Peanut Butter Yogurt CBD Treats for Dogs
These treats from Colorado CBD Products are a great choice for the older dog in your life, since they are easy to chew and digest. And they couldn’t be easier to make.
- 32 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup peanut butter
- Pet-friendly CBD oil
- Melt the peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl
- Combine the yogurt, CBD oil and melted peanut butter
- Pour the mixture into cupcake papers
- Place in the freezer
Gluten-Free Blueberry dog Biscuits With CBD oil
- 2 tablespoons, plus more for greasing coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour I used Bob’s Red Mill one-to-one blend
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup blueberries slice some or all of them in half if you want them to blend better
- CBD oil
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a silicon molded baking mold or mini muffin tin very well with coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl, stir together coconut oil, flour, and eggs until well-blended. The mixture will be a bit crumbly. Fold in blueberries.
3. Using a greased spoon or your fingers (rub some coconut oil on your hands), fill molds or tin about half-way with the mixture. Press down to make sure that the mixture is packed down and will take shape properly.
4. Drop the appropriate amount of CBD oil drops into each mold (talk dosage with your vet but always start low and increase slowly over time).
5. Bake for 20 minutes or so, depending on the size of your mold or tin. The biscuits are done when the top is firm and lightly browned.
6. Once the biscuits are cool enough to handle, remove from mold or tin. You may need to run a knife along the edges to loosen. Let cool fully before giving them to your pup!
|↑1||Boesch, et al. “Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Clinical Efficacy of Cannabidiol Treatment in Osteoarthritic Dogs.” Frontiers, Frontiers, 2 July 2018, www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2018.00165/full.|