A traditional appetizer gets an update with these easy to make cannabis summer rolls.
If you’ve been making cannabis edibles for a while now, you might want to branch out from the conventional brownie and baked good options. While always delicious, there are many other (healthier) ways to enjoy medibles too – including these crispy, fresh, cannabis summer rolls.
Summer rolls are a delightful take on a traditional Vietnamese appetizer. They make for an impressive presentation, without needing any fancy kitchen gadgets or techniques. If you can roll up a sandwich wrap, you can quickly put together these summer rolls.
Most ingredients should be available through any supermarket. If you are missing a few – check out your local Asian grocery store. Rice paper, noodles, and vinegar are all Asian-kitchen staples.
Summer Rolls a Uniquely Healthy Take on Cannabis Cooking
Most of the time, when cannabis edibles come up in conversation, it’s all about gummies, candies, and baked goods. While these have their benefits, they aren’t always the healthiest choice thanks to all that refined sugar.
Because cannabinoids are fat-soluble, cannabis edibles also tend to lean into heavier foods. Lots of fats (butter, oil, coconut oil) and rich, creamy sauces are standards in cannabis cooking. If you prefer lighter meals, infused recipes can be hard to find.
This quest for fresh is why we welcome this summer roll recipe like we welcome summer! Big open arms, bountiful veggies, and healthy vibes.
Why We Love Cannabis Summer Rolls
- “Highly” Impressive: Once you get the hang of rolling the filling into a neat rice-paper package, summer rolls make for a stunning dinner. The vibrant veggies shine through the rice paper and consequently, they’ve made for more than one viral social media post.
- Adaptable: If you don’t have the suggested veggies, feel free to adlib. Carrots, cabbage, watermelon radish, mango, and any number of other vegetables make for great fillings. Don’t have cilantro and mint? Most leafy herbs (basil, chives) make for suitable substitutions. No rice noodles? Don’t fret! Skip altogether in favor of more vegetables, or use rice or tofu.
- Team Effort: If you are planning a dinner party with friends, these make for a perfect team exercise. Prep all veggies and sauce in advance, then lay it all out before the guests arrive. Get everyone to pitch in, rolling their own infused summer rolls with fillings they love.
Cannabis Summer Rolls – Ingredients
Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup of natural peanut butter
3 tablespoons grated ginger
2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
A tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
9 tablespoons hot water
Summer Roll Ingredients:
8 rice roll papers
hot water to soak the papers
A beet, grated
1 bell pepper (green, red, yellow, whatever you have), thinly sliced
1 bunch mint leaves, chopped
A small bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
½ cup crushed peanuts
8 ounces cooked rice noodles
- Cut the vegetables into thin slices, using a sharp knife or mandolin if you have one. Pile neatly on a baking sheet for easy assembly later.
- Using a double boiler, add cannabis extract first and liquify.
- Once liquid, remove from heat.
- Combine all ingredients for peanut sauce except for water: mix to combine, and taste. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Add hot water one spoonful at a time, until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. A thick syrup is a perfect dippable consistency to aim for.
- Add hot water (for rice paper) onto a large plate or rimmed baking sheet. Working one rice paper at a time, soak for 10 seconds or until pliable.
- Layout softened rice paper onto a flat work surface. Add desired fillings (bell peppers, herbs, noodles, etc) into the center of the paper in rough rectangle shape. Leave significant space on all sides to make for easy wrapping.
- Either roll or fold the rice paper over the filling, finishing with the left and right sides. The rice paper should naturally seal everything into place. If you can’t quite get it into a beautiful summer-roll shape, don’t worry too much. Use whatever technique works to seal all ingredients inside – it will still taste the same!
- Cover with a damp towel or store in a sealed container until ready to eat; this will help keep the summer rolls moist.
- Place peanut sauce in a dipping bowl, and peanuts on a plate.
- Dip one end of the summer roll in sauce, and then dab on the peanuts (and don’t be afraid to double-dip). Enjoy!
Can You Make Summer Rolls Ahead of Time?
As you’ll soon find out, rice paper is best when soft and moist. Exposure to air slowly dries out the paper, until it’s tough and chewy. Because of this, summer rolls don’t last long, even if kept in the refrigerator and an airtight container.
Basically, if you want to make ahead of time, your best bet is to prep all veggies and the peanut sauce in advance – but only soften the rice paper right before mealtime. Another good idea is to dampen a kitchen towel and wrap a few summer rolls in a glass storage container. These should last at least 24 hours in a refrigerator. More than a few days and they will become chewy.
Is your mouth watering yet?
Make this summer roll recipe tonight, with whatever veggies you have on hand. Essentially, cannabis summer rolls are a perfect way to find relief, without the added sugars and rich foods. Great for healthy diets, vegan and vegetarians – not to mention it’s gluten and dairy-free!