No Bake Bars So Simple You’ll Never Buy A Medible Again
Medicated ‘no bake bars’ can be an easy and healthy way to get your daily cannabinoids.
One of the fastest growing trends in cannabis is that of infused edibles. They may not be for sale in Canada (yet), but the hunger for “medibles” is booming in well-established markets like Colorado and Oregon. The only real downside of the edibles available at dispensaries is their price tag. Some people are willing to pay big bucks for a well made edible, often without realizing just how easy they are to make at home. So easy, in fact, that many recipes don’t even require an oven. No-bake bars, balls, and other non-baked goodies can deliver the same medicinal benefit with less effort in the kitchen.
Non-chefs of the world rejoice! Save your hard-earned dollars, perfect your medibles, and make your medicine from the comfort of your home. The logic behind producing your own edibles is threefold:
- Choose your strain and perfect the potency
- Control all the ingredients
- Make in bulk ahead of time, store in the fridge or freezer for later.
A Note on Decarboxylation
Before throwing on an apron, a quick note about one crucial process: decarboxylation. Commonly called decarbing by cannabis chefs, this process is all about applying heat to the raw plant material. Heat plus time are essential elements to transform the raw cannabinoids like CBDa and THCa into the cannabinoids we know and love: CBD and THC.
There are a few ways to decarb cannabis, as outlined in “Decarboxylation 101”. The easiest and most consistent method uses an oven, but if you don’t have an oven, there are options. Rick Simpson oil relies on a slow cooker, and you’d very likely see success by placing cannabis in a dry frying pan over very low heat. If you have an oven, we recommended sticking to the original method for the sake of consistency and predictability.
With the decarbing process out of the way, we can get to the no-bake bars, balls, and other treats your taste buds will love.
No-Bake Infused Sprinkle Bars
Recipe Inspired by A Mom’s Take
No-Bake Bar Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cannabutter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Rainbow sprinkles
- 1 bag chocolate candy melts (any color)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Rainbow Sprinkles
- Line an 8” x 8” baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and cannabutter with a hand mixer until well blended.
- Slowly add flour, condensed milk, and vanilla extract. Blend until a thick dough forms.
- Using a spatula, mix in chocolate chips and sprinkles until just combined.
- Spread dough out evenly in the lined pan and press firmly into an even layer.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- For the topping add heavy cream and chocolate chips into a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir until melted and well mixed
- Once the dough is chilled, pour the topping over the top and spread with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the remaining rainbow sprinkles over the top.
- Return to chill for another hour. Then it’s ready to serve.
- Freeze to store for up to three months.
Cannabis Banana No-Bake Bars
Recipe inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- 1/2 very ripe banana
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup ground flax meal
- 50 mg to 100 mg cannabis tincture (this should equal between 5 to 10 mg of THC per serving)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Line an 8” x 8” inch pan with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients except chocolate chips into a food processor, or blender. Process until a thick dough forms (you may need a spatula to scrape down the sides).
- Dump the mixture into a large mixing bowl, and mix in the chocolate chips with spatula until roughly distributed.
- Spread into the pan and press firmly down in an even layer.
- Chill overnight in a refrigerator until firm.
- Cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
No-Bake Cannabis Chocolate Cookies
Recipe inspired by All-Recipes
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cannabis-infused coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Over medium heat add sugar, cocoa, milk, and cannabis-infused coconut oil into a large saucepan.
- Melt together, occasionally stirring for one to two minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla, salt, peanut butter, and oats until combined. Remove from heat.
- Drop large spoonfuls of dough onto the lined cookie sheet (roughly 12-15 per sheet).
- Chill for one to two hours in the refrigerator until firm.
- Store in an airtight container.
The beauty of many of these no-bake bar or cookie recipes is that they are totally customizable. Baking requires specific measurements, and sometimes a near-scientific precision. Mess something up and you could end up with flat cakes or hard cookies. No bake recipes like these are much easier to customize to your liking. Switch up the nut butter in the no-bake cannabis cookies, or try adding sunflower seeds to the no-bake banana bars. Putting your personal touch on these recipes is easy.
A word of advice for testing the potency of your medibles: Always start slow. If you are not sure how potent a full bar is before eating, start with a quarter. Only increase after an hour, and still take it slow. Edibles can take upwards of two hours to kick in and sometimes deliver a surprisingly strong experience.