Need to up your weed dessert game this fall? You’re covered. Read on.
The fall season is upon us, which means it’s pie season. And when it comes to possible weed dessert during this season, you’ll find that a classic pie is a highly adaptable edible. Especially with the harvests of autumn, the possibilities for a potent pie are endless.
Even the novice baker can jump into making cannabis-infused pie. Pies are as much or as little effort as you have time for. If making your own pie crusts feels intimating, why not prepare with a store-bought one? Don’t have a lot of time on your hands to make your own pumpkin purée? Canned pumpkin works just as well. Trust us, if you are putting in the effort for a pie, none of your friends will complain once it’s in front of them.
A weed dessert, like pie, always gets a great reception at holiday events. If you have an up and coming cannabis-friendly celebration in your future, get into the kitchen and pump out a pie. The following recipes for Potent Pumpkin Pie and Cannabis-Infused Apple Pie will surely impress even the most discerning guests.
Pie Crust Recipe
Adapted from Bon Appétit.
As both the following fall-inspired weed desserts rely on a solid foundation – the pie crust – let’s start with a basic crust recipe. Normally any recipe with butter makes for an excellent opportunity for a Cannabutter swap. But, when it comes to pie crusts, stick with regular butter. Cannabutter is clarified and won’t work the same as regular butter. Use the pie fillings as the space for cannabis-infusion, not the crust.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp ice water
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Prepare a small bowl with vinegar and ice water. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients with a whisk.
- Add butter, and toss gently with your fingers to coat each piece in flour.
- Use your hands to quickly smash the pieces of butter into flat and broken shaggy pieces. Continue tossing with flour as you go.
- Remove ice water from the refrigerator. Gradually drizzle over the flour mixture, using your hands to distribute it throughout.
- In the bowl, knead the dough a few times to help to come together.
- Flour a work surface, and turn the dough out on to it.
- Knead the dough a few more times and divide it into two. Press into discs and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill dough before use, at least one hour.
Potent Pumpkin Pie Weed Dessert
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
Cannabis Cream Ingredients:
2 cup heavy cream
4 grams decarbed cannabis flower, roughly ground
Pumpkin Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1-15oz can pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1 /4 cups heavy cream
Cannabis Cream Directions:
- Place decarbed cannabis and heavy cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat.
- Simmer very gently for one hour, watching carefully to ensure the cream does not burn. Do not let the mixture boil. Keep an extremely low simmer.
- Strain mixture through a cheesecloth.
- Store the cream in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Pumpkin Pie Directions:
- Prepare pie crust according to the recipe, or use a store-bought crust if desired.
- Prebake bottom crust for 10 minutes (or according to package instructions).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Whisk pumpkin puree, eggs, and brown sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add cornstarch and all spices. Whisk until well combined.
- Add Cannabis Cream, whisking vigorously.
- Pour pie filling into pre-baked crust. Fill to ¾ of the way up the sides of the crust.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until most of the filling has setup. The center can still be slightly jiggly.
- Remove from the oven, and allow it to cool before serving.
Cannabis-Infused Apple Pie
Adapted from Land O’Lakes
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 cups tart apples, peeled, cored, sliced 1/4 inch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp Cannabutter, chilled, cut into small dime sized pieces
- 1 tbsp white sugar
Apple Pie Directions:
- Prepare pie crusts according to the recipe, or package instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, except apples and Cannabutter. Whisk to combine.
- Add in apples, toss gently to coat.
- Pour mixture into the prepared bottom crust, spread evenly, with any excess piled high in the middle.
- Dot the top of the apple mixture with the pieces of Cannabutter.
- Roll out the top crust. Gently lay over the top of the pie filling, crimping and cutting edges to fit. Cut in several vents.
- Brush crust lightly with milk, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Cool before serving.
Frequently Asked Pie-Related Questions
- Do I need to bake my own crust?
- Nothing beats the flakiness of a homemade crust. But a pie crust is an intimating prospect. If you fear failure, don’t be afraid to use a store-bought crust for your weed desserts.
- Why can’t I make a crust filled with Cannabutter?
- Baking is a science, and the pie crust is one of the most poignant examples. Temperature, ingredient ratios, and more go into the super-flakey crust we all dream of. Cannabutter is technically clarified butter, which has a slightly different molecular makeup than unclarified butter (the type typically used in pies). Considering crusts are hard enough to master, we’d recommend saving the cannabis-infusion for the pie filling instead.
- Do I need to make my own pumpkin puree?
- Speaking from experience, homemade pumpkin puree is an arduous process. It takes time and a lot of effort. Save the dishes, and use high quality, organic, canned pumpkin puree this time around.
Autumn is the Perfect Season for Weed Dessert in the Form of Pie
Pumpkin and apple pies are just the start of your adventures in the cannabis kitchen. With the cooler weather coming on, and several key holidays coming up, there is no time like Fall for mastering edibles.
Take on the Classic Space Cake or a batch of mild-mannered CBD Cookies. Or, impress everyone in your family by taking on some of grandma’s favored holiday baked goods. The world is your oyster this Fall, as you experiment in a cannabis kitchen.