Weed Tea Is Perfect Served Hot or Cold
Cannabis leaves, stems, and trim can be used to make a delicious batch of weed tea that heals, treats anxiety, stops pain, and gives you a good night sleep.
Tea comes in many different forms, and believe it or not, weed tea is not a new invention. Communities all over the world have used the healing properties of weed tea for many generations. This healing beverage is no stranger to kings’ palaces nor peasant homes. In fact, women in Jamaica have used weed tea as treatment for morning sickness and to manage stress during pregnancy.
No Smoking Required
What makes weed tea more appealing is that it does not have to be smoked, hence you need not worry about the harmful effects that products of combustion have on your lungs. Even better, you can make it using stems and leaves for the cannabis plant. These are the parts you would throw away anyway.
Cannabinoids in weed tea are absorbed gradually through the digestive tract. It will take about two hours to reach full effect, just like it would with edibles.
Proper Preparation of Weed Tea
Making weed tea goes beyond merely steeping a few herbs in hot water and adding some sugar. The compounds in cannabis that give it the therapeutic and recreational properties are usually in an inactive state and need to be first activated.
Secondly, cannabinoids are fat soluble and they need to bind to fat molecules for the body to absorb them. Following this, you will find that our recipe contains some butter or oil to which the cannabinoids can attach. Coconut oil or milk (not skim) can be a source of these fats.
Easy DIY Weed Tea Recipe
- ¼ gram cannabis bud, stems, leaves, and/or trim
- 1 teaspoon butter (melted) or coconut oil
- Empty teabag or metal tea ball
- 2 teaspoons honey
Steps to Completing Your Weed Tea
- Chop up the cannabis into tiny pieces. You can place these into an electric grinder until shredded, but not powdered.
- Add the butter and mix. Ensure each bit of cannabis is coated well.
- Take your empty tea bag and fill it with this cannabis/butter mixture.
- Put water in a stove pot and bring it to a boil. Then reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
- Throw in the tea bag and allow it to steep for thirty minutes, making sure that the water does not start to boil. Heat from the hot water will decarboxylate the THC. This allows it to bind to the butter for easy absorption into the body.
- Remove the pan from the stove and cool for five minutes.
- Add some honey for sweetening, flavor and other therapeutic benefits that honey adds.
Remember that it may take up to two hours for the THC to fully absorb into your body. Drink a cup and wait to see how you feel before consuming more. You can store your completed weed tea in the refrigerator, in a glass jug. Enjoy the benefits of weed tea either hot or cold.
Take it up a Notch: Cannabis Tea Latte
- ¼ gram cannabis buds, leaves, stems, and/or trim
- 1 teaspoon butter
- One tea bag
- A cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tea spoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Chop up the cannabis into tiny pieces. An electric grinder works, just be sure not to overdo it by turning the cannabis into powder.
- Add the butter, milk, vanilla and crushed buds to a blender. Ensure the mixture mixes evenly.
- Allow to rest for one hour so that the ingredients can blend well. Place the mixture in your empty tea bag.
- Place the water in a pan and simmer for 30 minutes, do not bring to boil.
- Remove the water from the heat and add in your blended mixture in a tea bag, steep it for five minutes.
- Add your sugar, whipped cream and cinnamon flavor (optional) after it has cooled and enjoy!
The longer you steep the tea bag, the stronger the tea will be.
The Benefits of Weed Tea
Terpenes found in the cannabis plant have a relaxing effect on the body and may help to induce sleep, especially myrcene and beta-caryophyllene. CBD has demonstrated anti-anxiety effects, so if you are too anxious to fall asleep, taking a cup of cannabis tea may be just the thing you need to settle down.
Cannabis has proven effective in the treatment of GI disorders, such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Crohn’s Disease. Weed tea helps soothe smooth muscles in the digestive tract, to assist in the digestive process. Cannabinoids enhance the protective functions in the GI tract hence minimizing inflammatory conditions that harm this part of your body.
Using cannabis in your tea is a wonderful way to end your day. Throw your feet up and relax your way into the evening. You’ve earned this!